Clinical Medicine Insights. Oncology 2023 Feb 14
Evolving Therapeutic Scenario of Stage III Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer.   
Lung cancer remains the leading cause of cancer-related death with an incidence that continues to increase in both sexes and all ages. However, 80% to 90% of lung cancers are non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and the remaining 10% to 20% are small cell lung cancer. Adenocarcinoma is the most common histologic subtype of lung cancer worldwide. More frequently, lung cancer diagnosis is made in advanced stages. Stage III NSCLC refers to locoregionally advanced disease without metastases and represents about 30% NSCLC cases. Despite the absence of metastases at diagnosis, the outcome is generally poor. Stage III comprises a heterogeneous group and optimal management requires the input of a multidisciplinary team. All modalities of oncologic treatment are involved: surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and more recently, immunotherapy and targeted therapy. We will discuss the different therapeutic options in stage III NSCLC, both in operable and inoperable scenarios, and the role of immunotherapy and targeted therapy.

Related Questions